Monday, January 5, 2009

Prepare for PR Fallout | Professional PR

Prepare for PR Fallout | Professional PR: "Chicago Sun-Times, another rare treat.
The first and only article (these folks at Duxler are FAST) I read was about the written prayer that Barack Obama left in a crack of the Western Wall in Jerusalem’s Old City. Rule number one: those notes are private. Rule number two: since they are private they’re supposed to remain that way. Apparently, the note was taken (by whom isn’t so clear though it might have been a student) and then published yesterday in the Israeli paper Maariv. I won’t include the prayer here; you can look that up yourself.
But I thought it might be interesting to raise this issue of what to print and what not to print and all the ramifications involved. But of course I have a bigger lesson to offer, too. While I wasn’t in on the editorial meeting during which the publication of the prayer was discussed I have to guess that the editors at least raised the possible ways the public might respond to the paper sharing Obama’s private exchange with his god. I know for this blogger, an invasion of privacy like this makes me very uncomfortable and I wonder a little if the paper will suffer at all. I have to believe they prepared themselves for the fallout and there has been fallout.
The lesson, of course, is that when you take a risk like this you absolutely must be prepared for the impact."

No comments: